This blog is about me (Tim Benson) and my time spent on the Africa Mercy working as a volunteer for the organisation Mercy Ships in West Africa. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships. For information on how to support me please click here.

Monday, March 2, 2009

My time in Iowa

Well my time has come to an end here in Iowa. Sorry that I haven't really written anything but I guess I just haven't done anything all that blog worthy. Not that I haven't had a great time here I have enjoyed every day, but for the most I have just been hanging out with my friend Vandi not doing too much special just having fun.

One thing I am really grateful for is the way Vandi's family really just welcomed me in for the few days I was here. They took me along the second day to a Birthday party for her uncle out at a restaurant and I got to meet both her grandparents while here and even hang out and play some soccer with her brothers and sister.

One special thing we did get to do is because Vandi is a student in culinary school at the moment is her Chef was holding a special wine tasting evening and 3 course dinner and he let Vandi and I come along for free. The wine tasting was first and all the wines came from a local Vineyard that was still fairly new. There were a few wines that I liked but I am not a big wine drinker. They let us try 9 different wines before dinner then another 2 desert wines after dinner. The dinner was a seafood and pancakes theme because it was international pancake day. Each course had 3 options to choose from and for the starter I had a seafood pancake, which was a crepe filled with 3 different sorts of fish and shellfish. For the main course I had a nice piece of salmon on a bed of open lasagna with asparagus and green beans. Then for desert there was a choice of 3 different filled crepes and I chose the one with raspberry and lemon and whipped cream. All in all it was a great evening and excellent food and I got to meet some of Vandi's class mates as well as her Chef.

Now I am just sitting here in the Des Moines airport waiting to be able to board my plane. The weather today is not that good its very over cast and has been raining a lot, but is much better than the predicted ice rain and possible snow, which if it had come I possible would not have been able to fly out. I am heading to Seattle next so when I post this I will be there.

1 comment:

Murray Tristan Crawford said...

hey Tim, i'm so glad i found your blog... and I love the name! it's classic! i've been reading over your travels the past hour or so and it's been enthralling. i'm really excited for Gateway and pray it all comes together! safe travels back to the ship! later man, Murman :-)