This blog is about me (Tim Benson) and my time spent on the Africa Mercy working as a volunteer for the organisation Mercy Ships in West Africa. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships. For information on how to support me please click here.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Philadelphia

Well guess what I had yet another last minute change to my travel schedule and decided to go down to Philadelphia for the day after I realised how close it was to New York. I caught the train down and was picked up at the station by my friend Megan and she then set about giving me the Philly tour. Our first port of call was to a little local restaurant to get a real “Philly” cheese steak, which was actually the first one I have ever had and I must say it was very greasy but quiet nice. We then headed off and picked up a large soft pretzel (I could start to see a trend appearing involving me eating a lot of food) and some drinks before heading on into down town. We found ourselves a park and proceeded to walk around the old part of the city looking at some of the old buildings. We then found ourselves at the Liberty Bell, which for those of you that don't know is a big old bell that was rung when America gained its independence among other things. Once we had finished walking around the old part of the city we jumped back into the car and headed over the University area where we stopped at a small cafe type place and had some bubble tea which is cold flavored tea with these little bubble balls in the bottom. We then headed over to China town for dinner at this great Malaysian restaurant called Penang which I loved having lived in Malaysia before it was great to have some food of that style and I must say it was good food. After dinner we drove back to the train station and said our goodbyes, all in all it was a great day hanging out with a friend. :)

No comments: