This blog is about me (Tim Benson) and my time spent on the Africa Mercy working as a volunteer for the organisation Mercy Ships in West Africa. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships. For information on how to support me please click here.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A little Taste of Texas

Well Time has been flying by, in fact most days I don't even know what day of the week it is (should I be worried?). I have however managed during our full schedule here at Gateway to get out and try and experience a little bit of this State/Country I am in. Last week a group of us decided to get a feel for small town Texas by going up the road to the nearest small town named Van and stopping in at their little road side Diner call the "Dinner Bell". It is a nice little place that apparently totally transforms over holiday periods into some sort of themed wonderland. We went there for breakfast before class so we had to go at 6.30am so we would be back in time, but it was worth it. I had a great breakfast of bacon, eggs, sausage(that's the American style where they serve it in a patty) and toast.

Then on Saturday I went along to what is apparently the largest flee market in the US called "First Monday". From what I heard about it I don't think i really scratched the surface with my few hours spent there. I made it to the car show section as well as the animal and pets section and not too much more.

On Sunday night we then proceeded to have a Superbowl party and even though I am not a big American Football fan, I am a sports fan so I could not resist. I got pretty into the game in the first half and enjoyed some of the adds that were on in between, but in the second half I was slightly more engrossed by the thrill of tossing pigs (a small travel game consisting of 2 little plastic pigs and a score sheet).

This week although most of us a quite tired and busy we did manage to go out for breakfast and experience another great little American restaurant. On Tuesday we went to the Cracker Barrel for breakfast. A nice little place just off the highway where one half is a store and the other half is a nice country restaurant with all sorts of old guns and stuff hanging on the walls. The food was very good especially their amazing apple butter they had, it tasted so good it couldn't be good for you.

No comments: