This blog is about me (Tim Benson) and my time spent on the Africa Mercy working as a volunteer for the organisation Mercy Ships in West Africa. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships. For information on how to support me please click here.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

My night in the Yurt

Well tonight I am staying at my friends Yurt. I wanted to try sleeping here for a night because its one of those things that how many times are you going to get to spend the night in a Yurt. So my friend dropped my off here and is going to pick me up again in the morning. So its just me here in this large family size tent, well my and a 20 pound black cat named kitty poo (no joke). So the first thing I had to work on was trying to get some heat going so I currently have a propane heater going as well as a wood fire while snuggling with kitty poo. This is something I was really looking forward to doing as I had been interested in Yurts (also known as Gers) because I have a friend living in Mongolia. Although this yurt is slightly different to the Mongolian ones, the outside is made of nylon where as the Mongolian ones are made of felt and this one is a permanent structure and the Mongolian ones are made to be packed up and moved from place to place. Other things are similar though I think, a wood fire to keep warm, no running water or electricity. Well I have survived so far I will wait and see how I go during the night because I can't leave the heater running all night, but I should be ok I will write more in the morning.

Well morning has coming and I am still here. I didn't get too cold last night, although it did take me over an hour to get out of the warmth of my sleeping bag this morning. The sky last night was just amazing I don't know if I have ever seen quiet that many stars in the sky at once. I slept on the little second level that has been built into the yurt and could see the stars through the sky light in the top of the yurt while lying in bed. When I woke this morning I found kitty poo waiting at the bottom of the ladder meowing for some company or maybe he just wanted me to come and put the heater on. Unfortunately I was silly enough to forget to bring my camera with me for this night in the yurt so I have no photos to show from my experience although I will try and get back here to take some just so I have some proof of my time in the yurt.

To conclude I think I would be able to live in a yurt, but it would take some time for me to get used to the cold. But during summer I think it would be great.

No comments: