This blog is about me (Tim Benson) and my time spent on the Africa Mercy working as a volunteer for the organisation Mercy Ships in West Africa. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships. For information on how to support me please click here.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Traveling stage one

Well I had a great start to my visiting of friends in the US. My first stop was in Dallas just 2 hours up the road from where I have been spending the last month. Where I met up with a lovely nurse named Lisa who I had met on the Africa Mercy last year. She opened up her house and we had a good time chatting and hanging out for the afternoon and even went and got some nice Thai food. Unfortunately my stay there was only short lived as I just spent the night before catching a bus early in the morning onwards to my next destination in Montrose, Colorado.

Apart from been long the bus ride went well, although it did seem a little bit indirect but I hear thats how greyhound works. I went from Dallas up to Oklahoma City, to Ambrose Texas, to Albuquerque New Mexico, and then finally up to Montrose Colorado, 30 hours in total. Fortunately I was able to got some sleep on the bus so I wasn't totally wrecked when I got to Montrose although I did get a nice little surprise when I got there I found out that my checked bag had not made it all the way with me. So I will be going back and checking if it is there tomorrow as the guy said it would probably take 2 days to sort out the problem. So please pray it will turn up.

I was met at the “bus station”(small one room building with one guy inside) by my friend Ben and his wife Rose who I had not met before, I had also met Ben during my time on the ship. They then took me back to where they are house sitting at the moment in a town called Ridgway. The house is this amazing large house on a little bit of a hill with one of the most amazing views I have ever seen just looking out at the rocky mountains. They are house sitting there for the next few weeks or so, but they normally live in a Yurt (Mongolian nomad tent) which I hope to spend the night in at some stage while I am here.

No comments: