This blog is about me (Tim Benson) and my time spent on the Africa Mercy working as a volunteer for the organisation Mercy Ships in West Africa. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships. For information on how to support me please click here.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Life as a Gateway student

Well here I am at Gateway and week one has come and gone already. The week started with a few highs and lows as I was overjoyed to meet up with friends I had known from my time on the Ship(8 people in total), but at the same time I had to say goodbye to most of the IMS(Introduction to Mercy Ships) class, who after spending 2 days with I had become quiet fond of and they had really included me in their group even though I wasn't doing their course.

So in my Gateway class there are 30 of us in total with a varying range of ages and backgrounds so it makes for a good mix.

I just have to say that so far this course has really been nothing like I expected although to tell the truth I don't even know what I expected. When people asked me what the course was about back home before I left I just said something along the lines of "It's to tell me more about the organisation and to teach me Marine basic safety and some theology too" or something like that. Well it has been so much more so far and its just been the first week. We spend pretty much 8am to 4pm in a classroom just learning some really amazing stuff. I am not really a note taker but I have just been filling up the pages hoping it will help me remember.

We have been learning stuff like Kingdom principles and Spiritual Warfare as well as How to hear God. Just the kind of subjects that I had never really learnt too much about so had kinda avoided I guess and thought it wasn't really for me and now I am learning how much it is for me. Our speaker for most of the week was Dean Sherman and he did such an amazing job at getting his message across and answering any questions we had no matter how small or stupid sounding.

All I can say is after this first week I hope and pray that the rest of the course will go as well and that I might retain some of this great information.

No comments: