This blog is about me (Tim Benson) and my time spent on the Africa Mercy working as a volunteer for the organisation Mercy Ships in West Africa. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships. For information on how to support me please click here.

Friday, April 17, 2009

A little Slip up

On Monday I was at work in the Galley, it was just another normal day at work and we had almost finished getting dinner ready and sent down to the dinning room. I realised that I needed to go and get some aprons I had been washing from the laundry so I went to walk out of the hot prep side of the Galley like I have done hundreds of times before, except this time I hit a bit of water on the ground as I rounded the corner and both my feet went flying out from under me and I landed heavily on my left knee cap. I sprung back to my feet straight away hoping that no one had seen me, but everyone had so I continued on to pick up the laundry. I limped there and limped back and when I got back it was really starting to hurt so I went for my dinner break thinking some rest would do it good before coming back to clean up. I went and sat in the dinning room with my friends 2 of which at the table are nurses. Then when I went to get up after dinner I tried to stand on my left leg and found it was too painful to even put any pressure on my left knee at all. So my great friends sprung into action and in no time my knee was strapped I had ice on it and another friend had gone and gotten me a pair of crutches. So I spent the rest of the evening getting used to using crutches on the ship with all the stairs we have while also answer the same question a thousand times "Tim, what happened to you?". The next day I went to the crew doctor to find out how bad it was and I was happy to hear that it was just bruised and I needed to keep off it for a couple of days. So after 2 days of been on crouches I got the ok to stop using them and since then I have just been taking it a bit easy on my kneed and now the only time I am still noticing it is when I am using the stairs (which is actually fairly often).

No comments: