This blog is about me (Tim Benson) and my time spent on the Africa Mercy working as a volunteer for the organisation Mercy Ships in West Africa. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships. For information on how to support me please click here.

Friday, April 17, 2009

changing jobs

Well This has come sooner than I thought it would, but I have just gotten back into the swing of things in the Galley and I am changing jobs already. This has always been the plan except I wasn't supposed to change until later in next month. Although the job I have changed to which is working in the sales department will be understaffed very soon with people leaving and others going on holidays so they wanted to train me up before we were understaffed. What is the sales department you may ask, well basically put we are the department that sells stuff to the crew. We run a shop on board as well as a snack bar and a cafe. The shop is a place of constantly changing stock that we get shipped in from the USA and Holland. We sell things like cooking and baking supplies for the crew that may not like what is served in the dinning room or maybe just love to bake, toiletries such as toilet paper, toothpaste, shampoo etc, mercy ships clothing and many other things. The snack bar and the cafe on the other hand is more of a luxury for the crew so they can get a cold soft drink and a snack or maybe a nice coffee at a decent price and we are open when most of the crew take their break time in the morning and afternoon. More than just running these 3 places working in the sales department also includes a lot of time spent stocking up and working in the store rooms down on deck 2 and also alot of work when new shipping containers come to be unloaded.

So far I am really enjoying it but I am also sad that I am no longer working in the Galley, I enjoy both jobs but it is unfortunately not possible for me to do both at once and working in Sales will hopefully allow me to get more involved with other things on and off the ship.

No comments: